As we approach Spring, it’s often the time to think about cleaning up our house, finances, and schedules. This time of year is also a prudent time to do “Spring cleaning” of our insides. Detoxing is often very popular during the Spring. While we fully recognize the benefits of detoxing, we believe in detoxing right and in the healthiest way possible. There are many fad diets, liquid cleanses, and synthetic supplement regimes that do not promote a healthy detox and can actually cause more harm than good.
First of all, it’s important to note that our bodies are made to detox. This is a natural function and our bodies naturally detox through the liver, kidneys, digestive system, skin, and lungs. Despite our body’s natural ability to detox, it can get overloaded with toxins that inhibit this process. Because of our society’s high sugar, high processed food, and more sedentary lifestyle, our organs can lose the ability to function properly. (1)
One organ that often gets overworked is our liver. According to Medical News Today, “The liver is the largest solid organ and the largest gland in the human body. It carries out over 500 essential tasks”. (2) One interesting fact about the liver is that it can regenerate, a brilliant evolutionary advance because of how vital this organ is. Some of the many functions the liver performs are:
- Bile production
- Blood clot support
- Fat metabolism
- Carbohydrate metabolism
- Storage of vitamins and minerals
- Protein metabolism
- Filtering the blood
- Immune function (3)
Another organ that works very hard is the gallbladder. The gallbladder is located under the liver and it stores bile that the liver produces. Bile helps digest fat and helps absorb fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin A, D, E, and K. The gallbladder can stop working if it is overtaxed or blocked which can lead to gallbladder removal. (4)
To prevent damage to the liver and gallbladder it is important to live a healthy, active lifestyle and to be aware of preventative measures to keep your body functioning at an optimal level. Here are some ways you can keep your liver and gallbladder in tip-top shape:
- Avoid alcohol – Alcohol is metabolized by the liver and drinking too much or too often can overtax the liver.
- Quality sleep – Sleep supports the body’s overall health. The body also flushes out toxins during sleep.
- Drink more water – Water is essential for so many bodily functions and it is crucial for naturally detoxing. Water transports waste out of the body through sweating, urinating, and so much more.
- Reduce sugar and processed food – A diet high in sugar and processed foods can cause fat to build up in the liver and impact liver function. It can also cause other illnesses that tax the body further.
- Eat foods high in antioxidants – Antioxidants protect cells from damage by toxins and free radicals. Foods rich in antioxidants include berries, fruit, nuts, coffee, and green tea.
- Prebiotics – Our digestive system has its own detoxing processes. Prebiotics feed our good bacteria and this bacteria keeps our gut healthy and running smoothly.
- Be active – Physical activity reduces inflammation and chronic illness. It also helps with detoxing by getting the blood flowing, increasing sweating, and stimulating digestive function. (5)
- Add herbs to support your liver:
Milk Thistle – This herb helps support the liver and gallbladder. It can help regenerate the liver, it is a super antioxidant, removes pollutants, targets pathogens, and can reverse liver damage. (6)
Dandelion Root – Dandelion has been used for years by various cultures to support healthy liver function and detoxification. It can help prevent gallstones and even dissolve them.
Turmeric – This root contains powerful antioxidants that can reverse liver damage and combat toxins in the body. (7)Living Alchemy uses the ancient art of fermentation to activate milk thistle into its superior form for MILK THISTLE Alive. This powerful fermented herb revitalizes and strengthens the liver, encourages effective detoxification, as well as normalizes liver enzymes and liver function. MILK THISTLE Alive includes organic dandelion root, organic turmeric and fermented organic milk thistle seeds created with a unique kefir-kombucha process to provide a powerful living matrix of bio-activated nutrients, enzymes and beneficial flora. To find out more about effective detoxing and using MILK THISTLE Alive to support your liver and gallbladder, see our website.
1. Van De Walle, Gavin MS. March 11, 2019. Full Body Detox: 9 Ways to Rejuvenate Your Body. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-detox-your-body Accessed Feb 7, 2020.
2. Newman, Tim. Jan 20, 2016. What Does the Liver Do? Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/305075 Accessed Feb 7, 2020.
3. Newman, Tim. Jan 20, 2016. What Does the Liver Do? Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/305075 Accessed Feb 7, 2020.
4. Fletcher, Jenna. July 1, 2016. What are the Most Common Gallbladder Problems? Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/311357 Accessed Feb 6, 2020.
5. Van De Walle, Gavin MS. March 11, 2019. Full Body Detox: 9 Ways to Rejuvenate Your Body. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-detox-your-body Accessed Feb 7, 2020.
6. West, Helen. Jan 19, 2018. 7 Science-Based Benefits of Milk Thistle. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/milk-thistle-benefits Feb 6, 2020.
7. Watson, Kathryn. July 12, 2017. The Positive and Negative Health Effects of Turmeric. Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318405 Accessed Feb 14, 2020.